Thursday, August 14, 2008


The one thing that is drilled into student's heads here is to network. We are where a lot of people would consider the mecca of the culinary world and if by some chance you think the mecca is Food Network then you need to get your shit straight. We have more certified master chefs here than in any other single area of the world. A lot of our teachers are extremely educated and they have a great network. Really no matter where you want to go in the food world, there is somebody here with a connection that can help you get there as long as you ask.

Many educators are published and a couple seem to have done everything and know everyone. We have a lot of presentations on campus. I was lucky enough to catch a miso demonstration from a master kaseiki chef from Japan my first week here. I got to watch him do some amazing things with his knives and more so got to taste his food.

Today we have two events going on. One is Chef John Besh who, if you don't know, was the runner-up on The Next Iron Chef and author Peter Singer who is considered a controversial philosopher and wrote a book on the ethics of eating meat. I am not able to attend either of these due to my class schedule, but that is just life and they are recorded so I can watch them later. On a good note, I did get to meet John Besh earlier today. He seemed like an extremely nice guy. I for one would probably not handle myself so well, but I am glad I got to get a picture.

Broke Student Donations Welcome





No comments: